Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The area of timberlands purchased by Weyerhauser in 1900

It might be the size of Rhode Island.
"Bruce Amundson, a spokesman for Weyerhaeuser, said the cut was the lowest ever for the company, which got its start in 1900 when German immigrant Frederick Weyerhaeuser bought timberlands in Washington state the size of Rhode Island. The company now has 6.4 million acres of U.S. timberlands."

Well, I believe it for one, but without epic (and heart-rending) research, I'm not going to go into the nitty-gritty to verify this one. All I can say is that on a Washington state driving trip, we drove longer through Weyerhaeuser land than I've ever driven through Rhode Island, tip to tip and getting lost all day as I do. It was like, leave the Sea-Tac area, enter Weyerhaeuser land, and stay on their land until Oregon. Crazy.

Link to Bloomberg, who generally know their news.

No comments:

Post a Comment